NEWS about ArchEX 171129
A new version of ArchEX is ready! In this new version, which I call ArchEX 2018, I have added the Deepin 15.5 (latest) Desktop environment. Deepin (made in China!) is devoted to providing a beautiful, easy to use, safe and reliable system for global users. I came to like Deepin very much when I installed it in ExTiX 18.0. So I thought why not install Deepin also in ArchEX?
Study all installed packages in ArchEX 2018 Deepin/LXQt.
Why trust a Chinese Distribution?
NEWS 171129 about Calamares Installer
I’ve finally managed to make Calamares 3.1.8 (The universal installer framework) work without problems/issues. Calamares 3.1.8 totally new. Released November 14, 2017. This version gives you more control over the installation process. Now you can use Calamares to install ArchEX in any language. The boot loader Grub2 (which can be installed during the installation of ArchEX) will also work without problems.
WHAT IS ArchEX?
ArchEX 64 bit is a new (171129) Linux live DVD based on Arch Linux. Arch motto is KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). ArchEX uses kernel 4.13.12-1-ARCH the Deepin 15.5 and the LXQt 0.12 Desktop environments. Deepin 15.5 Desktop (made in China!) is devoted to providing a beautiful, easy to use, safe and reliable system for global users. About LXQt: LXQt is a lightweight Qt desktop environment. It will not get in your way. It will not hang or slow down your system. It is focused on being a classic desktop with a modern look and feel.
Among many other programs, Firefox 57.0 (for Netflix), Gimp, Spotify, GCC, Wicd and GParted – study this package LIST.
WHO should run Arch Linux?
My answer: The system fits the “advanced” Linux user/enthusiast, who would be willing to run an occasional command from time to time.
BENEFITS of ArchEX/Arch Linux
“Cutting Edge”-software and speed. You will for example always run the latest kernel if you upgrade ArchEX/Arch (for example) every month.
ArchEX Deepin Desktop
ArchEX Deepin full Desktop
ArchEX running Calamares
ArchEX LXQt Desktop
ArchEX starting up live
ArchEX starting up from hard drive (VirtualBox)
ArchEX Installer (Calamares) running
When Cinnamon is installed (pacman -S cinnamon)
When Xfce4 is installed (pacman -S xfce4)
When KDE (Plasma) is installed (pacman -S plasma-meta and pacman -S kde-applications-meta)
When Enlightenment is installed (pacman -S enlightenment)
ALL extra desktops can be installed in about 10 min!
Kernel 4.14.2-x86_64-exton is my newest Slackware kernel. Kernel 4.14.2 was released by Kernel.org yesterday. (November 24, 2017).
I have compiled a very useful (as I think) 64 bit kernel for Slackware Current (14.2) and/or all Slackware derivatives. For example Slax, Zenwalk and SlackEX. The kernel is compiled exactly in the same way as Slackware’s latest kernel huge. “My” kernel 4.14.2-x86_64-exton has even more support for new hardware, etc. Kernel 4.14.2 is the latest kernel available from Kernel.org. Released 20171124.
What’s new in kernel 4.14?
About ExTiX 18.0 with the Deepin 15.5 Desktop
I’ve made a new extra version of ExTiX with Deepin 15.5 Desktop (made in China!). Deepin is devoted to providing a beautiful, easy to use, safe and reliable system for global users. Only a minimum of packages are installed in ExTiX Deepin. You can of course install all packages you want. Even while running ExTiX Deepin live. I.e. from a DVD or USB stick. Study all installed packages in ExTiX Deepin.
All five ExTiX systems are based on Ubuntu and Debian.
Why trust a Chinese Distribution?
The Ultimate Linux System
I’ve called my different versions of ExTiX The Ultimate Linux System for many years by now. As regards ExTiX 18.0 Deepin I feel it’s especially justified. Everything just works.
While running ExTiX Deepin 18.0 live or from hard drive you can use Refracta Tools (pre-installed) to create your own live installable ExTiX/Ubuntu/Deepin system.
1. ExTiX Deepin 15.5 Desktop
2. ExTiX Deepin running Refracta snapshot
3. ExTiX Deepin running in VirtualBox – changing Grub packages
4. ExTiX Deepin running the Refracta Installer
5. ExTiX Deepin login screen (LightDM)
Deepin Screen Recorder
In ExTiX Deepin you can record everything you do. Watch this small video.
NEWS 171121 ABOUT ExLight
I’ve made a new extra version of ExLight today based on Debian Buster/Sid. The “old” version from 171112 is based on Ubuntu 17.10 (alias Artful Aardvark) and Debian Buster/Stretch. Furthermore version 171112 uses Enlightenment 0.20 installed from Ubuntu’s repositories. Build 171121 of ExLight uses Enlightenment 0.22 installed by me from source.
Enlightenment 0.22 was released 171102. Only two (!) Linux distributions in the whole wide world (besides ExLight) uses Enlightenment 0.22 as Desktop environment.
I have kept the old version (171112) on SourceForge.net server since that version of ExLight can be considered more stable being based (mostly) on Ubuntu 17.10.
To be able to install Enlightenment from source I had to install a lot of extra packages. The ISO file has therefore increased from 1210 MB to 1560 MB. Study all installed packages in ExLight Build 171121.
1. The Enlightenment 0.22 Desktop
2. The Login Screen – LightDM. Choose between Enlightenment and Fluxbox
Running Clash of Clans and other popular games
Clash of Clans (a very popular epic strategy game) works very very well in AndEX Nougat Build 170930. Perfect video quality and audio. Install it very quickly using Google Play Store. If you have a touchscreen you can also (for example) run Wild Hunt, Flight Pilot, CSR Racing 2, Angry Birds, Bowmasters and Shooting King. Watch a screenshot of the desktop when I have installed the just mentioned game apps.
Bluetooth and TeamViewer for Remote Control
Bluetooth is not working as I’ve said before. (You can enable Bluetooth and see units nearby though). As a good replacement for Bluetooth you can install the TeamViewer app.
1. Screenshot when I have connected to AndEX Nougat from my Windows 10 computer for transferring a file with TeamViewer
2. Screenshot showing that AndEX has received the file
(TeamViewer has to be installed also on your Windows computer).
Bluetooth won’t work in RaspAnd Nougat as I’ve said before. As an alternative – at least for transferring files between a “normal” computer and your Rpi3 – you can install and use the Teamviewer app.
1. Screenshot of my computer (laptop) desktop when I’m connected to my Rpi3 through Teamviewer
2. Screenshot when the Teamviewer app is running on my Rpi3 and files are being transferred from my laptop to my Rpi3
WHAT’S NEW IN VERSION 171112?
NOTE: Version 171112 replaces version 170105.
1. ExLight is now based on Ubuntu 17.10 (alias Artful Aardvark) and Debian Buster/Stretch.
2. I have upgraded the Desktop environment Enlightenment (Beauty at your fingertips) to version 0.20.99.0 (from 0.19.12).
3. I have replaced kernel 4.9.0-11-exton with my special kernel 4.13.0-16-exton corresponding Kernel.org’s stable kernel 4.13.4.
4. ExLight’s ISO file is now a ISO-hybrid, which means that it can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can then even run ExLight from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence!
5. Another big improvement is that ExLight can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 4 (load to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExLight that way.
6. The installation program Ubiquity (Ubuntu’s live installer) has been replaced with Refracta Installer. Very simple to use! A new user (your user) will be created during the installation process. The reason for the replacement is that Ubiquity is a bit too complicated and that the program crashes once in a while.
7. I have installed Nvidia’s proprietary graphics driver 384.98.
8. I have added seven animated wallpapers.
9. MOST IMPORTANT: I’ve added Refracta Snapshot, which make it possible for you to create your own live installable Ubuntu system. I mean change everything to your liking, fire up Refracta Snapshot and wait 3 – 5 min until your new ISO is ready!
What’s new in kernel 4.13?
Some cool things to do in ExLight Linux…
ExLight – running Refracta Snapshot
ExLight running in VirtualBox
ExLight running Spotify
ExLight running Samba
ExLight running in VMware
This version (171102) is my fifth build of RaspArch
The first version is from 150414. The second is from 151107. The third is from 160312 specially made for the new Raspberry Pi 3. The fourth version is from 161205. This version (171102) and version 161205 of RaspArch can of course also run on the “old” Raspberry Pi 2. RaspArch is a “remaster” of Arch Linux ARM. The original compressed system is of 231 MB. After I have added the LXDE Desktop environment, PulseAudio, Firefox, Yaourt and Gimp the system increased a lot. RaspArch is a “ready-to-go” ARM system. It must be installed on a Raspberry Pi 3 model B or Pi 2 computer.
Most important change in version 171102: use Win32 Disk Imager
This version can be installed in Windows using Win32 Disk Imager. Previous versions could only be installed when running a Linux system. Using Win32 Disk Imager has one disadvantage though. Only about 1GB can be used as data storage no matter which card you use. The system is of 3GB and the system partition of 4GB. If you use a card of 32GB about 28GB will be unused. Yesterday a member on this site wrote about how to get rid of the 1GB limit after Win32 Disk Imager has been used:
– write the image with Win32 Disk Imager
– start up Ubuntu (or another Linux system)
– start GParted – screenshot before resizing
– resize the SYSTEM partition – screenshot after resizing
This screenshot shows that RaspArch now has about 25GB free storage.
Writing the image using Win32 Disk Imager. See the screenshot below.
Study all installed packages in RaspArch…
Screenshot 1 of RaspArch’s Desktop – YouTube and PulseAudio Control running
Screenshot 2 of RaspArch’s Desktop – YouTube running
Screenshot 3 – Yaourt running (while installing Geany)