NEWS 190104 ABOUT ExTiX LXQt Mini 19.1.3, Build 190104
I’ve made a new “mini” version of ExTiX. The ISO file is now only of 837 MB, which is good if you want to run the system superfast from RAM. This build has everything Build 19.1.2 has except for Kodi 18 Leia. You can, however, install Kodi 18 if you want. Use Synaptic for that. Watch this screenshot. You can (of course) install thousands of other packages if you want. Study all pre-installed packages in ExTiX 19.1.3.
ExTiX 19.1.2 – Build 190102
I have made a new version of ExTiX – The Ultimate Linux System. I call it ExTiX 19.1.2 LXQt/Kodi Live DVD. (The previous LXQt version was 18.7 from 180723). The best thing with ExTiX 19.1.2 is that while running the system live (from DVD/USB) or from hard drive you can use Refracta Snapshot (pre-installed) to create your own live installable Ubuntu system. So easy that a ten year child can do it! As an alternative to LXQt you can run Kodi 18 Leia. Just start Kodi like any other program while logged in to the LXQt Desktop as the ordinary user live. I have enabled a few addons in Kodi. Most important the Netflix addon. One other very good thing with this version of ExTiX is that it is very light. The ISO file is of only 1040 MB, which means that you can run the system superfast from RAM. When the boot process is ready you can eject the DVD or USB stick. Use Boot alternative 3 or Advanced options… >> load to RAM.
ExTiX 19.1.2 LXQt/Kodi DVD 64 bit is based on Debian and Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS. The original system includes the Desktop Environment Gnome. After removing Gnome I have installed LXQt 0.12.0. LXQt is the Qt port and the upcoming version of LXDE, the Lightweight Desktop Environment. It is the product of the merge between the LXDE-Qt and the Razor-qt projects: A lightweight, modular, blazing-fast and user-friendly desktop environment. I have also installed Kodi 18 Leia with some addons already enabled. Most important Netflix, Plex and Amazon Video addons. NOTE: This ExTiX LXQt Build is for installation to UEFI-enabled computers. You shall use Refracta Installer for that.
The system language is ENGLISH.
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL about ExTiX and especially the new version from 190102?
1. The ExTiX ISO’s are ISO-hybrids, which means that they can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can even run ExTiX from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence!
2. Another big improvement is that both ExTiX versions can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 3 (load to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExTiX that way. Running from RAM means that the system will run faster than from a DVD or a USB stick. Everything will be superfast I would say! Especially since the ISO file is of only 1040 MB!
3. ExTiX LXQt is now more stable than ever. All packages have been upgraded to the latest version by 190102.
4. I’ve replaced kernel 4.18.0-rc5-extix with kernel 4.20.0-exton. Kernel 4.20 is the latest kernel by 190102.
5. I have replaced Ubuntu’s installation program Ubiquity (live installer) with Refracta Installer. It works very well. I.e. a new user (your user) will be created during the installation process and you’ll get a chance to change root’s password. Just start the installer from the menu under System.
6. The best thing with ExTiX 19.1.2 is that while running the system live (from DVD/USB) or from hard drive you can use Refracta Snapshot (pre-installed) to create your own live installable Ubuntu system.
7. As an alternative to LXQt you can run Kodi 18 Leia. Just start Kodi like any other program while logged in to the LXQt Desktop as the ordinary user live. I have enabled a few addons in Kodi. Most important the Netflix addon. NOTE: You can’t run Kodi as root. (You won’t have sound).
8. Nvidia proprietary Graphics driver 410.78 (patched for kernel 4.20) is pre-installed in ExTiX 19.1.2. It will be used automatically if your computer has support for it.
1. Kodi 18 running
2. ExTiX LXQt/Kodi – live’s Desktop
3. ExTiX LXQt/Kodi – root’s Desktop
4. Kodi 18 running – choosing Video addons
5. ExTiX LXQt 19.1.3 Mini running in VMware
6. ExTiX LXQt 19.1.3 Mini running in VirtualBox
Kodi 18 in action – watch an animated GIF…
Read about my Android-x86 Systems – Oreo, Nougat, Marshmallow, Lollipop and KitKat at
andex.exton.net – latest is AndEX Oreo 8.1!
about my Oreo, Nougat, Marshmallow and Lollipop versions for Raspberry Pi 3/2 at
raspex.exton.se – latest is RaspAnd Oreo 8.1!