I have made a new version of ExTiX – The Ultimate Linux System. I call it ExTiX 17.4 LXQt Live DVD. (The previous version was 17.2 from 170320).
ExTiX 17.4 LXQt DVD 64 bit is based on Debian 8.7 Jessie/Debian 9 Stretch and Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus, released 170412. The original system includes the Desktop Environment Unity (Ubuntu). After removing Unity I have installed LXQt 0.11.1. LXQt is the Qt port and the upcoming version of LXDE, the Lightweight Desktop Environment. It is the product of the merge between the LXDE-Qt and the Razor-qt projects: A lightweight, modular, blazing-fast and user-friendly desktop environment.
NEWS ABOUT ExTiX 17.4 build 170418 with LXQt Desktop environment
1. ExTiX LXQt is based on Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus. LXQt 0.11.1 is used as Desktop environment. All packages have been updated to the latest version by 170418. Kernel 4.10.0-19-exton is used. (Kernel.org‘s kernel 4.10.8).
2. Google Chrome is used as Web Browser, which makes it possible to watch Netflix movies. It is normally not possible in Firefox (in Linux).
3. I have also installed BlueGriffon 2.3.1 Web Editor. BlueGriffon is a new WYSIWYG content editor for the World Wide Web. Powered by Gecko, the rendering engine of Firefox, it’s a modern and robust solution to edit Web pages in conformance to the latest Web Standards. Only to be compared with Dreamweaver. (In my opinion).
4. Other included important/useful packages are: LibreOffice, Thunderbird, GParted, Brasero, SMPlayer, GCC and other compilation tools so that you can install packages from source. Furthermore “all” multimedia codecs. Everything the average Linux user could wish for I would say.
5. I have also installed Nvidia’s proprietary graphics driver 381.09 in this new version ExTiX LXQt. It has support for the following GPUs: Vulkan, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti,TITAN Xp, Quadro GP100, Quadro P4000, Quadro P2000, Quadro K1200, Quadro M6000, GeForce 920M, GeForce 930A, GeForce 930M, GeForce 940M, GeForce GTX 950M, GeForce GTX 960M and GeForce GTX TITAN X. This driver will be used automatically if your card is supported (if you start up ExTiX in compatibility mode).
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL about ExTiX and especially the new version from 170418?
1. The ExTiX ISO’s are ISO-hybrids, which means that they can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can even run ExTiX from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence!
2. Another big improvement is that both ExTiX versions can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 3 (Copy to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExTiX that way. Running from RAM means that the system will run faster than from DVD or USB stick. Everything will be superfast I would say!
3. All packages have been upgraded to the latest version by 170418.
4. I’ve replaced kernel 4.10.0-14-exton with kernel 4.10.0-19-exton (Kernel.org‘s stable kernel 4.10.8).
5. The installation program Ubiquity (live installer) is now working as intended. I.e. a new user (your user) will be created during the installation process.
Screenshot of ExTiX 17.4 Desktop – LXQt 0.11.1
Google Chrome with Netflix running
Connections to Windows computers via PCManFM-qt using Samba
Exton|Defender SRS is a Linux system available as a Live DVD (based on Fedora 25, 64bit – version 170218 and on Mageia 5, 32bit – version 150701) for administrating or repairing your system and data after a crash. Exton|Defender aims to provide an easy way to carry out admin tasks on your computer, such as creating and editing the hard disk partitions. It comes with a lot of Linux software such as system tools and basic tools (editors, Midnight Commander, network tools). Exton|Defender can, however, also be used as a normal Linux Desktop System. It requires no hard drive installation, but can easily be installed to hard drive if you want. Desktop environments: Cinnamon 3.2.8 in version 170218 (Fedora 25) and Cinnamon 2.4.5 in version 150701 (Mageia 5).
System Tools included
NTFS-3g, GParted, PartImage, Shred, Sfdisk (util-linux-ng), Rsync, Ddrescue, FSArchiver, TestDisk and Midnight Commander. Other programs (among many others): Google Chrome (in both versions) for watching Netflix movies, LibreOffice (in fc25), NetworkManager, Firefox, Thunderbird, Gimp, Samba, Java (JDK 7u9) and Java Runtime Environment (JRE), Emacs, Safecopy, kernel headers (Mageia 5 and Fedora 25) and many compilation tools. See a complete LIST of all installed packages 170218 (Fedora version) and 150701 (Mageia version).
NEWS 170218 re. Exton|Defender fc25 (Fedora 25)
I’ve made a new version of Exton|Defender 64 bit. Now based on Fedora 25, released 161122. It uses Cinnamon 3.2.8 and kernel 4.9.9. (Second latest stable kernel as of 170218).
VirtualBox and VMware
Exton|Defender fc25 runs very well in VirtualBox and VMware. Both live and installed to a virtual hard drive. Screenshots: Exton|Defender fc25 running in VirtualBox and VMware.
INSTALL Exton|Defender – FC25 (version 170218) on a USB stick of at least 4 GB
Use LinuxLive USB Creator (LiLi) in Windows. Works very good. All system changes are PERSISTENT. Be sure to choose “Recognized Linux: Fedora 22 Workstation (Gnome) 64-bit”. Watch this screenshot. You can also use Etcher. No persistence though. Watch this screenshot.
INSTALL Exton|Defender – FC25 (version 170218) to hard drive
Just use Anaconda (Fedora’s installer). Please read this INSTRUCTION. You can (if you want) use Grub2 as boot loader. Watch this screenshot when Anaconda has started (in fc24).
Exton|Defender´s Cinnamon 3.2.8 Desktop
Netflix is running in Google Chrome
Bluetooth Manager is running
Samba is running
NEWS 20170209 about exGENT
I’ve made yet a new version (20170209) of exGENT based on Gentoo Linux. Now with Xfce 4.12.1 and kernel 4.9.8. It is for the 64 bit architecture. I call it exGENT 2017 Xfce4 Live DVD. It replaces version 20160123. The ISO file is of 2590 MB due to the fact that this version has a lot of packages pre-installed. Despite this exGENT version 170209 runs surprisingly fast from DVD or USB. Even in VirtualBox and VMware. Faster than most other Linux live systems. All installed packages in exGENT have been updated to the latest available version by 170209.
Build 170209 of exGENT replaces Build 170206
Today I discovered some errors in exGENT Build 170206. They were not important, but nevertheless annoying. Build 170209 is totally error-free (as far as I know). While I was at it I installed Google Chrome (for all Netflix addicts) and Spotify (for all music lovers).
My special kernel 4.9.8-gentoo-exton corresponding Kernel.org’s kernel 4.9.8. It’s the latest stable kernel as of now. (20170209).
What’s new in kernel 4.9.8?
The best thing with exGENT is the premier auto detection of hardware and the ability to easily install the system to hard drive during a live session. Installed programs: Among many others GParted, GNU Emacs, Firefox, Google Chrome, Spotify, Thunderbird, Samba, AbiWord, Nvidia Graphics driver 375.26 and NetworkManager. Furthermore compilation tools so that you can install programs from source the Gentoo way. (After the installation to hard drive).
Quick install to Hard Drive
exGENT Linux can be installed to hard drive in 3 – 10 min. (Depending on computer type). This means that all of you who might hesitate to perform a normal Gentoo installation – which can take up to a couple of days – now have the chance to get this great Linux system (Gentoo) installed on your computers very easy.
You can easy and quick install Spotify in exGENT. Just run the command emerge spotify. The installation takes about 1 min.
NOTE: Spotify is pre-installed in Build 170209.
To be able to run Netflix in exGENT you’ll need Google Chrome. Just install it with the command emerge –ask www-client/google-chrome
Screenshot 3 – Netflix is running
NOTE: Google Chrome is pre-installed in Build 170209.
Who is exGENT/Gentoo for?
Experienced Linux users or those who really want to learn Linux. (Perhaps also for people who are bored with mainstream distributions like Ubuntu).
exGENT running Nvidia config
exGENT running Brasero
exGENT running Samba
exGENT running Spotify
exGENT running in VirtualBox
exGENT running in VMware
exGENT running Google Chrome and Netflix